BUSINESS INSPECTION PROGRAM
Your Yuba City Fire Department’s mission in the community is to protect life, property, and the environment as innovatively and efficiently as possible. One of the ways to accomplish this is through a business inspection program. Our system is designed to be educational and as non-threatening as possible. Punitive action is considered only as a last resort and frankly, is seldom used. We have a simple goal – to help keep you, your employees and your customers safe.
In an effort to help you prepare for our visit, and to make the best use of our time as well as yours, we are providing a list of the most common issues we find during typical inspections. While this list certainly does not include all possibilities, it does provide you with a good foundation for safety. Please review the checklist and make adjustments to your operation as necessary.
Yuba City Fire Department Pre-Inspection Checklist:
Fire Extinguishers –
Combustible Materials/Storage -
- combustible materials are at least three feet away from heating appliances (heating units, water heaters, etc.)
- flammable liquids are stored in an approved container, cabinet or safety can
- combustible materials are not to be stored under a staircase.
- compressed gas cylinders must be secured with a chain to prevent movement
- storage shall be maintained 2 feet or more below the ceiling in non-sprinklered areas
Fire Protection Systems -
- all fire protection systems shall be maintained in working condition at all times
- fire sprinkler systems shall be inspected and recertified by a California licensed fire suppression contractor every five years
- fire sprinkler systems shall be inspected by a California licensed fire protection contractor every 12 months
- storage shall be maintained 18 inches or more below the bottom of the fire sprinkler heads
- fire suppression systems in commercial cooking hoods shall be serviced by a California licensed technician every six months
Fire Alarm Systems –
- fire alarm system shall be maintained in working condition at all times
- an inspection/test of the fire alarm system shall be conducted by a California licensed electrical contractor every 12 months
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions about the program, or have suggestions to make it better, please do not hesitate to contact me. My direct office number is 530.822.4714 and my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.