The “Police Recruit” classification at the Yuba City Police Department provides a unique opportunity for candidates to be sponsored through the law enforcement academy of the department’s choosing. Upon successfully completing the academy, Police Recruits are re-classified as Police Officers and immediately begin the field training program to prepare them to function as solo officers. From beginning to end, this process can take approximately one year.
So, what does it take to get hired as a Police Recruit?
- Apply during the open application period. It is important you get your application in early as the allotted numbers of applications often fill quickly.
2. Written Test
- Qualifying candidates will be invited to written testing.
3. Physical Agility
- Qualifying candidates may be required to pass a physical agility test.
4. Oral Interview
- A small percentage of top-performing candidates will be invited to interview.
- A hiring eligibility list will be presented to the Police Department. The Department will determine how many candidates will proceed to the background process. If selected, a comprehensive background investigation will be conducted consistent with the standards established by the California Commission on POST.
6. Conditional Offer of Employment
- If your background meets the standards for a career in law enforcement, the Department may extend a Conditional Offer of Employment.
7. Pre-Employment Screening
- Qualifying candidates will be scheduled for a psychological and medical evaluation.
8. Official Offer of Employment
9. Start the Academy