Yuba City Fire Department
Dedicated to Protecting Life & Property


  1. How do I become a firefighter?

    To become a firefighter, you must have certain qualifications.  You can get a list of the qualifications and future recruiting efforts by contacting Human Resources at (530) 822-4610.

  2. Do you have volunteer or reserve firefighter programs?

    The Fire Department does not have volunteer or reserve firefighter programs.  All of the members are either full time or limited term employees of the City of Yuba City.

  3. Why do we see fire department crews at the store?

    Because the crews work a 48-hour shift, they must eat their lunch and dinner at the station.  At times firefighters all eat at the same meal, as a group.  The crews pay for their food out of their own pockets.  All crews remain in service to respond to calls during this time, which ensures there is no delay in responding to calls.

  4. What responsibilities do firefighters have other than fighting fires?

    Your Yuba City Fire Department is an “All hazards department”.  We do much more than fight fires.  We respond to calls for medical aid, including illness/accidents at home and work, and injuries resulting from vehicle crashes.  Other calls for emergency response involved hazardous materials releases, technical rescues, response to fire alarms and other calls for public assistance as well as river rescue emergencies.  We also work to educate the general public about fire safety.  Firefighters also spend much of their time maintaining equipment, doing routine public safety inspections for businesses and apartments, training for all types of emergency responses and completing the reports and paperwork associated with these activities.

  5. Why does a fire engine come when you call for an ambulance?

    Fire trucks have first responder personnel and can get help to you more quickly, based upon Fire Stations being strategically located throughout the City to minimize emergency response times. The ambulance will provide transportation to an emergency room, depending on the nature of the call. All members of the Yuba City Fire Department are certified Emergency Medical Technician or Certified paramedics.  To effectively manage a cardiac arrest or significant trauma event, it requires an increased number of personnel. 

  6. Does the fire department charge for services?

    Normally, you will not receive a bill from the Yuba City Fire Department for emergency medical services that we provide. Your tax dollars provide for Fire and EMS services. However, if you elect to be transported to an emergency room by Bi-County Ambulance (the ambulance provider) they will send you a bill for their services as they are a “for-profit” organization. Bi-County Ambulance is NOT affiliated with the Yuba City Fire Department. The Yuba City Fire Department is authorized to bill for costs associated with some traffic accidents or other types of incidents.

  7. Why does the Fire Department bring the fire engine for a simple inspection?

    Two reasons: First, these inspections are conducted by on-duty engine companies that must be ready to respond to an emergency call from the field.  Second, an important part of the value of the public safety inspection is to familiarize your firefighters with the buildings and businesses in Yuba City.  While they check for hazards and consult with the property owners on how best to eliminate or minimize the likelihood of a fire, they also familiarize themselves with access points and the layout of the facility.

  8. My smoke/Carbon Monoxide detector is chirping, what does that mean?

    Any time your smoke detector goes off, it's important to pay attention. If it's sounding its loud alarm because it senses the presence of smoke, check your home thoroughly. If you smell smoke and are unable to locate a fire, call 9-1-1 and we'll send an engine to make sure that a fire isn't smoldering in a hidden area.  If you don't smell smoke, the detector may be reacting to the presence of dust, steam, or a small insect or spider. Dust and bugs can be removed by a vacuum cleaner. If steam from a nearby shower is affecting your smoke detector regularly, move the detector to a different spot.

    If the detector is just chirping, thumping, or buzzing, it probably means that the battery is low. Replace the battery as soon as possible. Detectors can be purchased at any hardware or large commercial department store.  Did you know your detector has a life span?  Check it for an expiration date to ensure your safety.

  9. Where should I place smoke detectors /alarms?

    The NFPA recommends that smoke alarms be placed inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area, on every level of the home, in the basement, on the ceiling or high on a wall, and away from the kitchen to reduce false alarms (at least ten feet away from the stove).

  10. Where should I place a Carbon Monoxide detector/alarm?

    The NFPA recommends that Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms be placed outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.

  11. How often should I change the batteries in my smoke detector?

    We recommend you change the batteries in your smoke detectors every 6 months, an easy way to remember is to change batteries when you reset your clock for daylight savings time.

  12. How do I schedule a fire related educational program?

    There are many different types of educational programs we can present which meet the needs of various age groups. For further information, please call the Fire Administration office at 530-822-4686 or submit your request on the Yuba City Fire Department’s website by clicking on the “I want to….” Link.

  13. Are tours of a fire station possible?

    Absolutely.  Individuals, families, and groups may tour our facilities anytime between 10 a.m and 6 p.m.  keeping in mind that the firefighters at the station are on duty, and may need to respond to an emergency quickly.  It is recommended to schedule the station tour in advance to provide the engine company time to prepare for your tour.  You can schedule your tour by calling Fire Administration at (530) 822-4686, emailing YCFire@yubacity.net, or by filling out the request form on the Yuba City Fire Department’s website under the “I want to….” Link.

  14. How do I get a copy of a Fire Department Incident Report?

    You may request a copy of a report by calling the Fire Administration office at 530-822-4686 or by visiting the Yuba City Fire Department’s website and clicking on the “I want to….” link.  To obtain a copy of an EMS report, the actual patient must contact Fire Administration, or a medical authorization signed by the patient, with proper ID, must be presented to Fire Administration.  Due to medical information on the report, we can only release these reports with patient consent or with a court subpoena.

  15. Does the Fire Department fill or service fire extinguishers?

    No, the fire department does not service fire extinguishers.  There are private fire protection companies that offer those services.  They can be found in the phonebook or internet search.

  16. How do I make a complaint about a fire hazard?

    Complaints can be made by using the yc311 link on the City of Yuba City’s website, emailing YCFire@yubacity.net or by calling our Fire Safety Inspector at (530) 822-4714.

  17. How can I request a fire inspection?

    You can call the Fire Prevention Bureau at (530) 822-4714 or (530) 822-4614 to schedule a fire inspection.

  18. How do I make a weed abatement complaint?

    Complaints can be made by using the yc311 link on the City of Yuba City’s website, emailing YCFire@yubacity.net or by calling our Fire Safety Inspector at (530) 822-4714.

  19. How can I relay a compliment or complaint concerning the Fire Department?

    Compliments or complaints can be directed to Fire Administration at 530-822-4686 or you can visit the office at 824 Clark Avenue, Yuba City, CA 95991, 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.

  20. Will the fire department come to my home and fill my swimming pool?

    The Yuba City Fire Department does not fill swimming pools. We suggest that you contact the City of Yuba City’s Finance Department at 530-822-4618. If your pool is located near a hydrant you may rent a meter to use the hydrant to fill your pool.

  21. Does the fire department offer CPR and First Aid classes?

    The Fire Department does not offer CPR and First Aid classes at this time.  Contact the American Heart Association at (800) 242-8721 for possible upcoming course information.

  22. How do I get a burn permit?

    Burn permits can be requested by filling out the form on the Yuba City Fire Department’s website found under the “I want to….” link, or by emailing YCFire@yubacity.net and providing your contact information and the burn site location.  Yuba City Fire Department issues residential burn permits only to those who meet the minimum requirements to burn.  You may only burn natural vegetation (grass clippings, limbs, shrubs, etc.).  Burning of garbage, paper, tires, or construction debris is strictly prohibited.

    All commercial and agricultural burn permits must be obtained by Feather River Air Quality Management District (FRAQMD). 

    Visit https://www.fraqmd.org/ for open burning regulations and burn day information. 

  23. Can I run over fire hose that is laying across a street?

    No, you cannot run over fire hose.  Running over the hose could cause the hose to become damaged and any firefighter at the end of a nozzle will have the water interrupted and possibly cause injuries or death.  Any hose that is driven over without protection has to be taken out of service and tested.

  24. Do you install car seats or do car seat inspections?

    The Yuba City Fire Department does not have a child safety seat installation and inspection program.  We direct all of these requests to the Yuba City Police Department Traffic Division at (530) 822-6235 or the California Highway Patrol at (530) 674-5141.

  25. Can I call the Fire Department to dispose of household hazardous materials?

No.  The appropriate way to dispose of household hazardous materials is through the Yuba-Sutter Household Hazardous Waste Facility.  Visit https://www.recology.com/recology-yuba-sutter/recology-yuba-sutter-household-hazardous-waste-collection-facility/ for a schedule and additional information.

City of Yuba City | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2021 Intrado Corporation.