Quick Facts
Expand/Collapse All

Answers to Fequently Asked Questions.

Q: How do I report an issue?

If you have an issue, please let us know!
Phone: (530) 822-4626
Email: publicworks@yubacity.net
Online: 311 Yuba City
Mobile App: 311 Yuba City

Q. When is my street scheduled to be swept?

A. Each City street is swept once per month in scheduled routes. Please see the Street Sweeping Map to determine which day your street is scheduled for cleaning.

Q. How do I request a stop sign installed in my neighborhood?

A. Requests for stop signs and other concerns about traffic and roadway conditions should be addressed to the Engineering Division. Our Engineers can be reached directly by phone at (530) 822-4632 or through YC311.

Q. There’s a pothole in the intersection! How do I get it patched up?

A. Potholes and street failures can develop for a number of reasons, including rainfall and heavy traffic. Please report any potholes or other driving dangers to the Public Works Department by phone at (530) 822-4626 or through the YC311 system.

Q. Who do I contact if I have questions about my utility (water or sewer) bill?

A. The Finance Department will be happy to answer any questions you may have about your utility bill. They can be reached through the Customer Service phone line at (530) 822-4618.

Q. Does the City of Yuba City fluoridate the water?

A. The City adds fluoride to our drinking water to promote strong teeth and prevent cavities, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For further information on fluoridation, please call the Water Treatment Plant at (530) 822-4636.

Q. How do I get information on Yuba City water quality?

A. The City of Yuba City releases a Consumer Confidence Report each June on drinking water quality, which can be downloaded. Questions about the water quality report can be answered by the Water Treatment Plant at (530) 822-4636.

Q. My water pressure is fluctuating. How do I get it checked?

A. The Water Distribution Division will investigate the problems you have been experiencing with water pressure. Please call Public Works at (530) 822-4626 to coordinate an inspection.

Q. I need to have my water shut off to make repairs. Who do I call?

A. The Finance Department will perform the temporary shut-off of your water service to allow for repairs. Please call (530) 822-4613 to coordinate the shut-off.

Q. How do I report an illegal discharge/dumping into the street or storm drain?

A. Illegal discharge or dumping into the City right-of-way should be reported by phone to Public Works at (530) 822-4626. Illegal dumping into City streets or storm drains can cause safety hazards, water pollution, and damage to City property.

Q. What are the water restrictions in Yuba City?

A. The City of Yuba City has been given a mandatory water-use reduction goal of 29% in response to the ongoing drought. The City’s water conservation regulations are listed at www.YubaCityh2o.com. The restrictions include limiting lawn irrigation to two days per week (according to the schedule) and ceasing all washing down of driveways and sidewalks, and permitting car washing only with a hose with a shut-off nozzle.

Q. When are my designated watering days?

The City’s emergency water restrictions permit lawn watering for all City water customers as follows:
•EVEN numbered addresses: Wednesdays and Saturdays. If the last digit in your address is 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8, you have an EVEN address
•ODD numbered addresses: Thursdays and Sundays. If the last digit in your address is a 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9, you have an ODD address
•Public agencies and commercial businesses with turf areas greater than 0.5 acres may submit an alternative irrigation schedule for approval by the Public Works Director.

Q. What are the penalties for watering on the wrong day?

A. Although the primary purpose of City water patrols is to raise awareness about water conservation measures, penalties may be issued to water customers who choose not to comply with the mandatory restrictions according to the following schedule:
1st violation: Written warning
2nd violation: $ 50.00 surcharge*
3rd violation: $100.00 surcharge*
4+ violations: $250.00 surcharge* per violation
*Surcharges shall appear on the next monthly water billing

Q. Are there exceptions for new grass?

A. The City understands that additional water may be needed to help establish newly planted grass seeds or sod. New lawns may be watered up to three (3) times each day for up to three (3) weeks after planting. Please inform the Public Works Department at the time of planting at (530) 822-4626.

Q. I have a groundwater well, do the water restrictions apply to me?

A. The City’s water restrictions, including watering days and penalties, do not apply to City residents using private groundwater wells for lawn irrigation. However, please visit the State Water Resources Control Board’s Water Conservation Portal for more information on statewide emergency regulations. http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/conservation_portal/

Q. How can I keep my trees alive during the drought?

A. The City values trees and encourages residents to care for their trees during the drought by watering roots deeply and directly, rather than relying on sprinklers. For more information on caring for trees during a drought, please call Public Works at (530) 822-4626.

Q. Can I dispute my water violation?

A. If you feel that you have received your water violation in error, City water customers are welcome to dispute their violation to Diana Langley, Public Works Director. Disputes must be submitted in writing and can be delivered to City Hall (1201 Civic Center Blvd, Yuba City, CA 95993) or emailed to: everdropcounts@yubacity.net

Q. Are there rebates available for making water efficient changes to my home?

A. As part of the Every Drop Counts initiative, the City currently offers its water customers rebates for qualifying High-Efficiency Toilets, Smart Irrigation Timers, Pre-Rinse Spray Nozzles, and High-Efficiency Washing Machines. For more information or to download the Water Rebate Application, visit www.YubaCityh2o.com.

Q. Is my property in a flood zone?

A. A property’s flood zone is determined by consulting the appropriate Flood Insurance Rate Map, which are available on the City’s Floodplain Management page. If you have any questions about determining your flood zone or understanding flood zone risk, please contact the Public Works Department at (530) 822-4626.

Q. I will be doing some digging in my yard. How can I avoid hitting utility lines?

A. At least two days prior to digging, please call USA North at 811 to notify all relevant underground facility operators. The City, along with other agencies like PG&E, will visit the site and mark any nearby utility lines.